Frequently Asked Question (FAQs) about Dancing & VBDS
Please browse our FAQs, and if you have any other questions feel free to send them to us using the form at the bottom of the page.
“Place Order” button
Clicking the “Place order” button will:
- first check for any missing information, and report any errors to you.
- when the order has no errors, the system will transfer you to the secure web site of PayPal.com with the following information:
- The name & address (to be used as a default payer name & address)
- The cart order number
- list of all products purchased
- and total owing.
Don’t have a PayPal Account
- You do not need a PayPal account.
- To pay without a PayPal account follow these steps:
- Once you are transfered to the PayPal web site, the first page you see should have a button labeled “Don’t Have a PayPal account?”
- Once you click that button, you can enter all your personal payment information for your credit card.
- You now can click the “pay” and PayPal will process your payment.
- If your are asked for a password – simply do not enter it. Entering a password will automatically create a PayPal account for you. If you do not want a PayPal account, simply do not enter a password on the PayPal website.
- You can pay with your credit card directly. Please see “Why we use PayPal?
PayPal NOT working?
Of the hundreds of purchases on the this website using PayPal only a vary view have problems. Because you are on the secure PayPal web site, entering you credit information, our website volunteers will be unable to hep you directly. If the volunteer was standing over your shoulder watching you as you did your payment, they might spot something that you were doing out of the ordinary. Here’s some things you can try:
- Maybe one of the fields you entered was not accepted, look for fields in error?
- Scroll up and down the PayPal page looking for a message or different colored area – usually indicating missed or errors.
- Double check all your info
- Is the address information you gave to PayPal the same as on your credit card application – they must be very close to same words.
- I hope you can resolve this, and that you can give it another go, and just take some time to look at everything on the PayPal screen – there is usually something you missed or miss-typed.
- Send a email to email@example.com some detailed information of just what happen and what you have tried. We will try to help.
- If have tried and failed, please try again, maybe the next day, maybe going a little slower, maybe reading a little more, maybe double checking the entries and -YES -YOU will get through! – We have persons that tell us they made it after a couple of tries!
Why we use PayPal?
- Victoria Ballroom dance Society uses PayPal’s security and expertise in credit card processing.
- In this way, the website is not responsible for payment processing.
- This is done to insure YOUR security. This website is managed by volunteers that can not stay update with the never ending updates to security as does PayPal.
- This website does not use a secure web site because it does not collect or show any payment information.
- YOUR CREDIT PAYMENT IS SECURE because you will be on the PayPal’s website and using their security.
How to Apply for Membership
Apply for Membership Online
Click Here to visit the Membership page and select your membership level. Complete the short form and you will be redirected to PayPal for your payment. Once the payment is successful, you will receive an email with your login information.
Mail us your classes and membership form
PO Box 35024 RPO Hillside
Victoria BC V8T 5G2
Drop off your classes and membership form
You may drop off your application forms at any Wednesday Practice from 7:45 to 9:00 PM at Cedar Hill Recreation Centre. Keep in mind that, on occasion, a class may be full by that time.
Apply for classes and membership In Person
You may come to the Wednesday (Cedar Hill Rec Centre, 7:45 to 9:00 PM) or Friday (Les Passmore Centre, 7:00 to 8:00 PM) registration night, held shortly before classes begin each term. Keep in mind that, on occasion, a class may be full by that time.
You will need to fill out a membership application form, sign the included waiver, and pay the membership fee.
For Newcomer I only
For Newcomer I only, membership registrations are also held at the beginning of your first class.
Contact us if you have any questions: 250-721-5483 (JIVE-line) or: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Register for Classes Online
- Click Here to visit our Class Schedule.
- Choose the class you are interested in, and click the More Information button.
- Choose the number of spaces you would like to register for and click “Reserve Your Spot”.
- The message “Your booking was added to your shopping cart” will appear.
- Click on Shopping Cart and follow the prompts to make your PayPal payment. A booking confirmation will be sent to your registered email address.
Who Can Join?
The VBDS is made up of members from all age groups at all levels. A variety of group classes are offered, with classes for the complete beginner as well as those for more advanced dancers.
No previous dance experience is required!
Youth members will not have reached their eighteenth birthday, they shall not
pay membership dues, they shall have no voting rights and may not serve as a director but may
work with the board or any committee in an advisory capacity on youth matters. A Youth
Membership shall expire at the end of August each year.
Because youth persons also qualify as “students”, they benefit from the VBDS student pricing structure for classes and other discounts.(see student/disability membership below for student pricing)
A student is someone who is enrolled in a public or private school at the elementary to secondary level, or someone with a valid student ID or proof of enrollment at an educational institution. A student registered in a co-op work term is regarded as full time. A student who is classified as full-time during the winter is to be regarded as full-time for the following summer if they intend to continue their studies full time the following September. Persons applying for a student membership must enter their School name and Student ID on the membership registration form.
People on B.C. Employment and Assistance or Canada Pension Plan for people with disabilities. Evidence of current disability status must be provided. Persons applying for disability discounts must enter your CPP ID on the membership registration form.
Presentation of your id cards
You must present your ID cards when requested, by the VBDS registrar, instructor or any VBDS board member in order to verify your student/disability status.
We hold four practice sessions per week. There is no cost for members; potential new members and out-of-town visitors may attend no more than two weeks of VBDS practices at no cost (as guests of VBDS). After that time visitors and potential new members should normally be asked to apply for VBDS Membership. To find out about cancellations or holiday schedule changes, check the Calendar.
Newcomer and West Coast Swing Practice
**PRACTICES ARE AVAILABLE DURING REGULAR CLASSES
Newcomer: Mondays – St. Nicholas Church (Cook St. & Caledonia) 8:00 – 8:30 PM
West Coast Swing: Tuesdays – Cadboro Bay United (2625 Arbutus Rd.) 8:00 – 8:30 PM
|Wednesday||7:45 – 10:00 pm||for all members||Cedar Hill Recreation Centre, 3220 Cedar Hill Rd (at Finlayson)|
|Friday||7:00 – 9:00 pm||for all members||Les Passmore Centre, 286 Hampton Rd|
|Sunday||10:00 am – noon||Silver & up Only [*2]||Les Passmore Centre, 286 Hampton Rd|
- Class practices takes place on class nights only. An instructor will be present to answer any questions and help students with their dancing. Please do not arrive early as a class is in progress. Please be courteous to the class in progress, if you can please remain outside the hall till practice start.
- Sunday Morning Silver & up practices are one hour for Latin and one hour for Standard. Please see the Calendar for current time of Latin and Standard.
|Cadboro Bay United Church||62 x 67||4154|
|Cedar Hill Rec Centre||54 x 84||4536|
|Les Passmore Centre||36 x 76||2736|
|Royal Oak Women’s Inst.||33 x 60||1980|
|Saanich Commonwealth Place||77 x 97||7469|
What are the Practice Sessions Guidelines?
- Bring a clean, comfortable, non-marking pair of shoes to change in to for dancing. Street shoes may be dirty resulting in damage to the floor, possibly making it harder for us to rent halls.
- Your shoes need some give as you will want to dance up on the balls of your feet.
- If you are dancing slowly, or stopping to practice a step, stay towards the centre of the floor, so that the faster dancers have room on the outside in which to move. While this may be counter intuitive it is standard etiquette but works best on larger size dance floors.
- In consideration of others, no perfumes or strongly-scented body products should be used before attending any dance event.
- Leads are to dance with consideration for the ability of the follow. Do not be forceful; after all, the action of leading is simply inviting the follow to move.
Can anyone come to the Practice Sessions?
- Out-of-town guests are welcome to attend practices at no cost.
- If you are a prospective member you are welcome to come for two practices; after that, you should join the Society to continue.
What are the Class Guidelines?
- Classes last an hour and fifteen minutes, usually with a break in the middle. Many people bring a bottle of cold water for refreshment.
- Limit use of perfumes or strongly scented body products.
- You don’t need special ‘dance shoes’, however, we ask that you bring a clean pair of shoes to dance with, to avoid damaging the hall floors.
- Take advantage of our practice sessions to hone your skills.
- Have fun.
Do I need to bring a partner?
- Many members come to classes and workshops without a partner.
- Both singles and couples are encouraged to become members but it is recommended that you sign up with a partner if possible when registering for our classes however, a partner is not a requirement for taking a class. The classes, especially at the beginner levels, have a social atmosphere; our instructors encourage frequent switching of partners to ensure that everyone has a chance to participate fully (though students are not obligated to switch partners).
- Volunteer partners are usually available in most classes but they may have to share their time with other unpartnered students in the class.
Class Schedule & Class Payment Notes
- Class assignment to Hall / Instructor / Day and Time The schedule for first session of the year has determined the specific Hall, instructor day and time for each level/dance. The basic scheduling philosophy is to keep these the same for the remainder of the year of dance classes.
- However, several alternatives to a consistent year of classes have been requested and being reviewed; for example:
- Switching the time of the latin & standard is being reviewed. VBDS typically has standard dances first in the evening, usually around 7:00pm, and then Latin classes follow these. It is being reviewed if this should be changed to Latin first and then Standard. The first hour is generally preferred, and VBDS has found that standard dances are more preferred over latin, so standard dances typically are done in the preferred time slot.
- Special consideration is being reviewed for the beyond Gold classes session 6. Session 6 may become a special class. The details have not been completed. This change would completely affect the long term schedule for all remaining years beyond gold classes, and the long term schedule page would need to be changed to reflect this.
- Pay electronically and securely with your credit card when you click the “Reserve Your Spot” button here on the website.
- Pay in-person at the Official Registration night – The official registration dates are noted on each specific schedule. These dates have more volunteers to help you, and you may pay with your credit card, cash or cheque.
- Pay in-person at a VBDS Practice night – Please note that other than the official registration dates above, other practice nights are not guaranteed to have a registration volunteer and may not be able to accept credit card payments or cash. VBDS registration volunteer will make an effort to be at most practices or designate another volunteer with the credit card machine. Cheque registrations will be accepted on any practice night by most broad members. Cash payment is not preferred during practice nights as receipt book may not be available.
- Pay by mail-in Cheque – You may send us a cheque via the Canadian Postal Service.
- This method of payment is not preferred
- Include each member’s first & last name, phone # and email
- Include the class number(s) from the schedule
- Cheque MUST BE made payable to Victoria Ballroom Dance Society
- Mail the cheque in time for VBDS to receive it prior to start of class
- Mail cheque to:
Victoria Ballroom Dance Society
PO Box 35024 RPO Hillside
Victoria BC V8T 5G2
- Student and disability discounts when applicable are available for those who qualify. Only core classes are applicable to discounts. Core classes include international ballroom dance classes from Beginner to Gold levels only.
- Class Pro-rating is available: A member must request pro-rating in-person, at time of registration. Pro-rating is for members that have prior commitments that do not allow them to finish the class. A member may register for only 4 classes but is required to pay for 5 classes. A member may also register for only 3 classes but is required to pay for 4 classes. There will be no pro-rating for those taking 1, 2 or 5 classes. No pro-rating will be made available on the website, it must be done in person, at registration of class and prior to start of class.
- You may purchase dance classes for either session or both sessions at once.
- You may purchase classes in the second session at any time prior to start of class.
- You must be a VBDS member to attend any member class on our class schedule. When purchasing on-line, the membership cost will be added to your cart automatically when necessary.
- VBDS offers other types of dance classes: Dances, workshops and introduction classes are open to the public.
- Public classes are NOT included in the schedule of membership classes.
- Public classes are NOT payable on the website.
- Public classes are pay as you go, pay at the door.
- Public classes offered by VBDS usually have discounted price for VBDS members.
- All VBDS dances and workshops within a dance are open to public.
- Public classes & dances are listed on this website on the calendar page.
- In case of insufficient enrollment or other event beyond our control; VBDS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CANCEL CLASSES.
- Refunds cheques will be given for any classes that are canceled by VBDS.
Abbreviations for Halls and their addresses:
CBU = Cadboro Bay United Church, 2625 Arbutus Rd.
CHR = Cedar Hill Recreation Centre, 3220 Cedar Hill Rd
LPC = Les Passmore Centre (Saanich Silver Threads), 286 Hampton Rd
ROW = Royal Oak Women’s Institute, 4516 West Saanich Rd
CUC = Centennial United Church, 612 David St. (on the corner of Gorge Rd., just west of Douglas & Hillside)
Can my dance partner and I apply for Membership simultaneously?
Unfortunately, no. Each member must register his or her own account on this website using the instructions detailed above under “How to Apply for Membership”
Can my dance partner and I register for classes simultaneously?
As long as both members hold an active, valid membership in the same membership category (ie: both members hold a regular membership, or both members hold a student/disability membership) you may reserve more than one spot in each class. Simply choose the quantity under the Bookings heading on your chosen class, and reserve your spots.
- VBDS policy on discounts is specific to one person.