Frequently Asked Question (FAQs) about Dancing & VBDS
Please browse our FAQs, and if you have any other questions feel free to send them to us using the form at the bottom of the page.
How to Apply for Membership
Apply for Membership Online
Click Here to visit the Membership page and select your membership level. Complete the short form and you will be redirected to the payment option. Once the payment is successful, you will receive an email with your login information. Download detailed directions on how to register online by clicking HERE
Mail us Your Class and Membership Form
PO Box 35024 RPO Hillside
Victoria BC V8T 5G2
Pay your class and/or Membership at Intro to Ballroom Workshops
You may pay at any Intro to Ballroom Workshop at Les Passmore Centre – 286 Hampton Rd.. Please check ahead for our schedule: See our workshop schedule HERE.
Most workshops occur on Fridays or Saturdays, but please check our website for more details on dates and times.
Keep in mind that we offer workshops near the beginning of each session starting in September of each year.
Register for Classes and Membership In Person
If you are taking classes, you may come to the first week of classes and pay for your membership and class in person.
You will need to fill out a membership application form, sign the included waiver, and pay the membership fee.
***Please note that if you wait to register at first class there is an approx. 10% surcharge.
For Newcomer I only
For Newcomer I only, membership registrations are also held at the beginning of your first class.
Email: The best way to contact us is to email firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: We have a messaging machine that is checked every few days.
Number is: 250-721-5483 (JIVE-line)
How to Register for Classes Online
HOW TO REGISTER FOR CLASSES ONLINE:
1. Login to your account at vbds.org HERE (See below if you don’t have an account)
2. Go to Classes by Level/Category
3. Find the level you are interested in and click on purple button for example: “Newcomer” or
4. Click on the purple button: “MORE INFORMATION”
5. Click on “RESERVE YOUR SPOT”
After this you will fill in your financial information.
If you want to take more than one class, you will need to go back before entering financial info.
CHECK YOUR SHOPPING CART to make sure all classes are there.
Then, you can finalize your financial info and follow the steps afterwards.
Don’t have an account?
All current VBDS Members should have a login to their account online.
If you are not a current member, signing up online is easy!
1. Go to the VBDS web page at www.vbds.org, click on the purple “JOIN” button at the top of
the web page.
2. Scroll down, and select “Regular” or Student/Disability membership ($70 or $40)
3. Fill in your financial information.
4. Click on the bottom button “Submit and Checkout”.
Membership expires on August 31, 2020.
Need help registering on our website? Email us at email@example.com and we will contact you.
Who Can Join?
The VBDS is made up of members from all age groups at all levels. A variety of group classes are offered, with classes for the complete beginner as well as those for more advanced dancers.
No previous dance experience is required!
Youth members will not have reached their eighteenth birthday, they shall not
pay membership dues, they shall have no voting rights and may not serve as a director but may
work with the board or any committee in an advisory capacity on youth matters. A Youth
Membership shall expire at the end of August each year.
Because youth persons also qualify as “students”, they benefit from the VBDS student pricing structure for classes and other discounts.(see student/disability membership below for student pricing)
A student is someone who is enrolled in a public or private school at the elementary to secondary level, or someone with a valid student ID or proof of enrollment at an educational institution. A student registered in a co-op work term is regarded as full time. A student who is classified as full-time during the winter is to be regarded as full-time for the following summer if they intend to continue their studies full time the following September. Persons applying for a student membership must enter their School name and Student ID on the membership registration form.
People on B.C. Employment and Assistance or Canada Pension Plan for people with disabilities. Evidence of current disability status must be provided. Persons applying for disability discounts must enter your CPP ID on the membership registration form.
Presentation of your id cards
You must present your ID cards when requested, by the VBDS registrar, instructor or any VBDS board member in order to verify your student/disability status.
We hold four practice sessions per week. There is no cost for members; potential new members and out-of-town visitors may attend no more than two weeks of VBDS practices at no cost (as guests of VBDS). After that time visitors and potential new members should normally be asked to apply for VBDS Membership. To find out about cancellations or holiday schedule changes, check the VBDS Calendar BY CLICKING HERE
**PRACTICES ARE AVAILABLE DURING REGULAR CLASSES AT A VARIETY OF VENUES AND TIMES.
PLEASE CHECK OUR SCHEDULE ONLINE FOR DATES BY CLICKING HERE
|Wednesday||7:45 – 10:00 pm||for all members||Cedar Hill Recreation Centre, 3220 Cedar Hill Rd (at Finlayson)|
|Friday||7:00 – 9:00 pm||for all members||Les Passmore Centre, 286 Hampton Rd|
|Sunday||10:00 am – noon||Silver & up Only [*2]||Les Passmore Centre, 286 Hampton Rd|
- Class practices takes place on class nights only. An instructor will be present to answer any questions and help students with their dancing. Please do not arrive early as a class is in progress. Please be courteous to the class in progress, if you can please remain outside the hall till practice start.
- Sunday Morning Silver & up practices are one hour for Latin and one hour for Standard. Please see the Calendar for current time of Latin and Standard.
|Cedar Hill Rec Centre||54 x 84||4536|
|Les Passmore Centre||36 x 76||2736|
What are the Practice Sessions Guidelines?
- Bring a clean, comfortable, non-marking pair of shoes to change in to for dancing. Street shoes may be dirty resulting in damage to the floor, possibly making it harder for us to rent halls.
- Your shoes need some give as you will want to dance up on the balls of your feet.
- If you are dancing slowly, or stopping to practice a step, stay towards the centre of the floor, so that the faster dancers have room on the outside in which to move. While this may be counter intuitive it is standard etiquette but works best on larger size dance floors.
- In consideration of others, no perfumes or strongly-scented body products should be used before attending any dance event.
- Leads are to dance with consideration for the ability of the follow. Do not be forceful; after all, the action of leading is simply inviting the follow to move.
Can anyone come to the Practice Sessions?
- Out-of-town guests are welcome to attend practices at no cost.
- If you are a prospective member you are welcome to come for two practices; after that, you should join the Society to continue.
What are the Class Guidelines?
- Most Classes last an hour. Many people bring a bottle of cold water for refreshment.
- Limit use of perfumes or strongly scented body products.
- You don’t need special ‘dance shoes’, however, we ask that you bring a clean pair of shoes to dance with, to avoid damaging the hall floors.
- Take advantage of our practice sessions to hone your skills.
- Have fun.
Do I need to bring a partner?
- Many members come to classes and workshops without a partner.
- Both singles and couples are encouraged to become members but it is recommended that you sign up with a partner if possible when registering for our classes however, a partner is not a requirement for taking a class. The classes, especially at the beginner levels, have a social atmosphere; our instructors encourage frequent switching of partners to ensure that everyone has a chance to participate fully (though students are not obligated to switch partners).
- Volunteer partners are usually available in most classes but they may have to share their time with other unpartnered students in the class.
Class Schedule & Class Payment Notes
- Class assignment to Hall / Instructor / Day and Time
The schedule for first session of the year has determined the specific Hall, instructor day and time for each level/dance. The basic scheduling philosophy is to keep these the same for the remainder of the year of dance classes.
- However, several alternatives to a consistent year of classes have been requested and being reviewed; for example:
- Switching the time of the latin & standard is being reviewed. VBDS typically has standard dances first in the evening, usually around 7:00pm, and then Latin classes follow these. It is being reviewed if this should be changed to Latin first and then Standard. The first hour is generally preferred, and VBDS has found that standard dances are more preferred over latin, so standard dances typically are done in the preferred time slot.
- Pay electronically and securely with your credit card when you click the “Reserve Your Spot” button here on the website.
- Pay in-person at the Official Registration night – The official registration dates are at first class. These dates have more volunteers to help you, and you may pay with your credit card, cash or cheque.
- Pay in-person at a VBDS Practice night – Please note that other than the official registration dates above, other practice nights are not guaranteed to have a registration volunteer and may not be able to accept credit card payments or cash. VBDS registration volunteers will make an effort to be at most practices or designate another volunteer with the credit card machine. Cheque registrations will be accepted on any practice night by most broad members. Cash payment is not preferred during practice nights as receipt book may not be available.
- Pay by mail-in Cheque – You may send us a cheque via the Canadian Postal Service.
- This method of payment is not preferred
- Include each member’s first & last name, phone # and email
- Include the class number(s) from the schedule
- Cheque MUST BE made payable to Victoria Ballroom Dance Society
- Mail the cheque in time for VBDS to receive it prior to start of class
- Mail cheque to:
Victoria Ballroom Dance Society
PO Box 35024 RPO Hillside
Victoria BC V8T 5G2
- Student and disability discounts when applicable are available for those who qualify. Only core classes are applicable to discounts. Core classes include international ballroom dance classes from Beginner to Gold levels only.
- Class Pro-rating is available: A member must request pro-rating in-person, at time of registration. Pro-rating is for members that have prior commitments that do not allow them to finish the class. A member may register for only 4 classes but is required to pay for 5 classes. A member may also register for only 3 classes but is required to pay for 4 classes. There will be no pro-rating for those taking 1, 2 or 5 classes. No pro-rating will be made available on the website, it must be done in person, at registration of class and prior to start of class.
- You may purchase dance classes for either session or both sessions at once.
- You may purchase classes in the second session at any time prior to start of class.
- You must be a VBDS member to attend any member class on our class schedule. When purchasing on-line, the membership cost will be added to your cart automatically when necessary.
- VBDS offers other types of dance classes: Dances, workshops and introduction classes are open to the public.
- Public classes are NOT included in the schedule of membership classes.
- Public classes are NOT payable on the website.
- Public classes are pay as you go, pay at the door.
- Public classes offered by VBDS usually have discounted price for VBDS members.
- All VBDS dances and workshops within a dance are open to public.
- Public classes & dances are listed on this website on the calendar page.
- In case of insufficient enrollment or other event beyond our control; VBDS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CANCEL CLASSES.
- Refunds cheques will be given for any classes that are canceled by VBDS.
Abbreviations for Halls and their addresses:
SNC = St. Nicholas Church, 112 Caledonia Ave
CHR = Cedar Hill Recreation Centre, 3220 Cedar Hill Rd
LPC = Les Passmore Centre (Saanich Silver Threads), 286 Hampton Rd
ROW = Royal Oak Women’s Institute, 4516 West Saanich Rd
Can my dance partner and I apply for MEMBERSHIP simultaneously?
Unfortunately, no. Each member must register his or her own account on this website using the instructions detailed above under “How to Apply for Membership”
Can my dance partner and I register for CLASSES simultaneously?
As long as both members hold an active, valid membership in the same membership category (ie: both members hold a regular membership, or both members hold a student/disability membership) you may reserve more than one spot in each class. Simply choose the quantity under the Bookings heading on your chosen class, and reserve your spots.
- VBDS policy on discounts is specific to one person.