VBDS is run entirely by its members serving as volunteers (only the instructors are paid). There is a great range of volunteer tasks: assisting with class registration, volunteering as a lead or follow for a solo student, being a door greeter at a practice (signing in attendees and checking vaccination status), running the video library, being a Director on the Board, assisting with long term planning, (eventually) decorating for a dance… the list is long.
Volunteering is a great way to meet people and become more involved with the club. If you are interested in volunteering and want more information please email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteers do not necessarily have the time but they do have the heart.
The following is an incomplete list (as there are many smaller volunteer positions) of the many positions. Click on the position title to expand it and view a brief description of the tasks:
A volunteer follow is needed for a gentleman in Liz’s Intermediate class, Friday evenings from 7:00-8:00PM at Centennial United Church. This class is in process; the remaining dates are: October 8, 15, 22 and 29. Please email email@example.com
Volunteer leads are needed for the following classes, workshops and practices:
- Gold+ standard dances workshop with Victor, October 9, 16, 23 & 30, 1:00-2:00PM, Cedar Hill Rec Centre
- Gold+ Latin dances workshop with Victor, October 9, 16, 23 & 30, 2:00-3:00PM, Cedar Hill Rec Center
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help
- Practice at Cedar Hill Rec Centre, 8:00-10:00PM, all skill levels are required but especially for follows in Newcomer, Intermediate, Pre-Bronze and Gold.
If you can help, just show up 🙂
Dance Demos at Seniors Residential Centres
The members of VBDS have a long history of entertaining seniors who live in residential centres. Many of these people are shut-ins and have limited contact with people outside of their residential building. What is a casual two hours of our time can mean a great deal to these folks, people who have given much to our community throughout their lives.
The demo runs through nine of the ten dances of the Ballroom repertoire, Paso Doble is the odd one out. The format follows the order used in practices: W T F V Q S C R J. There is a short introduction before each song describing its history and character. The floors are small so dancing is limited to 3-5 couples at a time. Many seniors have diminished sight but can see movement and colour so costumes are important. Flowing colourful dresses for the follows and black pants/vest and a white shirt for the leads is preferred.
Historically, one demo per month was performed but that schedule can be adjusted based on the number of venues accepting outside entertainment and the volunteer pool.
It is recommended that volunteers be dancing at the Silver level or higher.
Face masks and proof of double vaccination is required.
If you are interested please email: email@example.com
Dance Practice DJ
- Play the music for the Wednesday or Friday practices.
- Friday practice: arrive at Centennial United Church by 6:45, set up music equipment, secure music equipment, ensure chairs are stacked, close the windows and turn out the lights.
- Wednesday practice: set up music equipment by 7:55, secure music equipment, ensure chairs are left for the custodian to clean.
- Occasionally make announcements on behalf of the board.
Learning to dance is only a part of the fun. Now that we have taken lessons and practiced our new skills, we want to get out and DANCE! The VBDS monthly dances are always upbeat and fun…friends meet friends while feet meet the floor. Volunteers get the benefit of being in the heart of the club – where the beat goes on!
- Organize 10 monthly dances and the New Year’s Eve Dance (rent the hall, hire DJ or musicians, caterers, advertise, supervise set up/clean up.
- Liaise with the President regularly.
- Report to the Board at least twice a year.
- Liaise with Dance Decorator for the “theme”.
- Advise Administrator of details/pricing for advertising.
- Pay DJ or musicians.
- Submit receipts to Administrator.
Dance Committee Volunteer Positions
Decorations Team Leader
- Plan wall decorations and centre pieces for tables at the dances. These may be created around a theme.
Decorations Set Up/Clean Up Team Members
- Assist with the set up and/or clean up of beverages, snacks, table cloths and decorations.
- Arrange for other volunteer door greeter and ticket sales assistants.
- Count and reconcile revenue and deliver to Board member.
- Welcome members and non-members.
- Have list of current members.
- Keep count of members and non-members.
- Purchase beverages and snacks submitting receipts to the VBDS Administrator.
- At the beginning of the dance place a jug of water on each table and place extra one at the kitchen hatch along with glasses, beverages, ice and snacks.
- Clear away at the end of the dance and store all equipment an unopened refreshments to bring to the next monthly dance.
- Welcome members and non-members.
- Identify members and non-members for purposes of pricing and collect money.
- Assist as necessary.
- Schedule workshops coordinating with the Administrative Assistant on the availability of halls and with the instructors on their availability.
- During the planning consider providing workshops across levels (Newcomer, Intermediate, etc.) if possible.
- Arrange publicity.
- Notices for VBDS announcements and information for inclusion in other advertising.
- Organize volunteers to open the hall for instructors, register participants and collect money.
- Ensure the cash box and keys are delivered to the door staff before the workshop.
- Keep records ensuring the registrations balance with the cash taken in.
- Pass the records and money to the Treasurer at the earliest convenience.