VBDS is run entirely by its members serving as volunteers (only the instructors and the administrative assistant are paid). There is a great range of volunteer tasks: assisting with class registration, running the video library, helping to plan a major event such as Pacifica Ball, decorating for a dance… the list is long.
Volunteering is a great way to meet people and become more involved with the club. If you are interested in volunteering and want more information send an email to: email@example.com. Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart.
The following is an incomplete list (as there are many smaller volunteer positions) of the many positions. Click on the position title to expand it and view a brief description of the tasks:
Dance Practice DJ
- Play the music for the Wednesday or Friday practices.
- Friday practice: open the Les Passmore centre by 6:45, set up music equipment, secure music equipment, ensure chairs are stacked, secure building.
- Wednesday practice: set up music equipment by 7:40, secure music equipment, ensure chairs are stacked.
- Occasionally make announcements on behalf of the board.
Learning to dance is only a part of the fun. Now that we have taken lessons and practiced our new skills, we want to get out and DANCE! The VBDS monthly dances are always upbeat and fun…friends meet friends while feet meet the floor. Volunteers get the benefit of being in the heart of the club – where the beat goes on!
- Organize 10 monthly dances and the New Year’s Eve Dance (rent the hall, hire DJ or musicians, caterers, advertise, supervise set up/clean up.
- Liaise with the President regularly.
- Report to the Board at least twice a year.
- Liaise with Dance Decorator for the “theme”.
- Advise Administrator of details/pricing for advertising.
- Pay DJ or musicians.
- Submit receipts to Administrator.
Dance Committee Volunteer Positions
Decorations Team Leader
- Plan wall decorations and centre pieces for tables at the dances. These may be created around a theme.
Decorations Set Up/Clean Up Team Members
- Assist with the set up and/or clean up of beverages, snacks, table cloths and decorations.
- Arrange for other volunteer door greeter and ticket sales assistants.
- Count and reconcile revenue and deliver to Board member.
- Welcome members and non-members.
- Have list of current members.
- Keep count of members and non-members.
- Purchase beverages and snacks submitting receipts to the VBDS Administrator.
- At the beginning of the dance place a jug of water on each table and place extra one at the kitchen hatch along with glasses, beverages, ice and snacks.
- Clear away at the end of the dance and store all equipment an unopened refreshments to bring to the next monthly dance.
- Welcome members and non-members.
- Identify members and non-members for purposes of pricing and collect money.
- Assist as necessary.
- Schedule workshops coordinating with the Administrative Assistant on the availability of halls and with the instructors on their availability.
- During the planning consider providing workshops across levels (Necwomer, Intermediate, etc.) if possible.
- Arrange publicity.
- Notices for VBDS announcements and information for inclusion in other advertising.
- Organize volunteers to open the hall for instructors, register participants and collect money.
- Ensure the cash box and keys are delivered to the door staff before the workshop.
- Keep records ensuring the registrations balance with the cash taken in.
- Pass the records and money to the Treasurer at the earliest convenince.