We can’t always choose the music life plays for us but we can choose how we dance to it! … Have fun with friends while you exercise your body and your hippocampus. Dancing is the ultimate sport in which everyone can participate. Read Dancing can make you smarter!
Victoria Ballroom Dance Society offers a variety of classes and workshops, from absolute beginner, to bronze, silver and gold level so whatever your age, whether you are new to ballroom, or returning to the dance floor, you will have fun dancing, learning and making new friends.
Monday evenings, July 7 through August 18 (excluding August 4), VBDS and the City of Victoria bring you "Dancing in the Square".
FREE beginner ballroom workshops 7:00 - 8:00 p.m. Learn the basics of the waltz, social foxtrot, jive, rumba and cha cha.
FREE live band music 8:00 - 9:30 p.m. Practice your new-found skills and your old dance moves as well!
Location: Centennial Square, downtown Victoria. No pre-registration, just drop by -- everyone is welcome!
Eric has pictures on dropbox. The stills are small files, the videos are full size. If you want full size versions contact Eric through the newsletter and he will email you full sized files. Feel free to download the small files. The pictures are unedited and not cropped.
Ellie has a photo collection on Smugmug ready for viewing, but buying may take a day or two to set up:
VBDS Members have been borrowing DVDs from the VBDS Library since April 30, 2014. PLEASE NOTE that the library will continue to operate for the summer months. Brian Mason, the DVD Librarian, is looking forward to seeing you on Wednesday nights.
Current VBDS Members may freely borrow one Ballroom instructional DVD per week, just:
- Visit Brian between 8:30 and 9:00pm at the Wednesday VBDS Practice at ceder hill rec center.
- Checkout an available DVD,
- or reserve a DVD for next week if the DVD you want is already out.
- or wait list yourself for a DVD if the DVD you want is reserved.
- OR- Visit the new web site pages (see image above) to reserve or wait list your DVD! Using the web site is convenient, it only asks for you name and email to check against current membership records. Once you have reserved it on-line, just visit Brian between 8:30 and 9:00pm at the Wednesday VBDS Practice at ceder hill rec center and pick up your reserved DVD. The web site saves you time and gets your DVD reserved ahead.
Choosing a DVD is simple, each DVD is for one dance, and by level. The levels may be combined per DVD like:
- Bronze - includes all the steps from the pre-bronze and bronze steps.
- Silver/Gold - includes all the steps from the silver and gold levels of each dance.
- note- there are NO "VBDS Beginner level" steps on any of the DVDs.
Music for Practices
Each year VBDS adds to the collection of music for use at its practices. The acquired music is almost always music that is arranged specifically for ballroom dancing; this ensures the tempo is correct and that the beat throughout the song is discernible. The purchase of the music is ultimately the easiest step in providing the music for dances. A volunteer must then take the music, decide which songs are to be used, find ones that fit the time allocated for the dance and that all dances are covered in the time allocated for the practice, burn a CD, label the CD and provide a list of the songs that are on the CD. This is quite time consuming and there a few volunteers who have offered to assist with this task.
The board is looking at ways to improve the handling of the practice music. One of the considerations is the the CD media used is fixed and it is time consuming to make changes. Remember the old days of records, 8 track tapes and cassettes and even CDs before the "random" button - the listener would know which some is coming next and would either have to listen to it or take action to skip the song. That, more or less, is the situation with the CDs; you the listener learn the order of the songs but are unable to skip to the next song and the technology is time consuming to work with to make new CDs.
If you have suggestions for music selections send the following information to email@example.com:
Song title, Artist's Name, Album, Dance for which the song is intended and the BPM (use an online counter such as http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm)
If you have the time and access to the internet use the following links to compare songs that are arranged specifically for ballroom dances and that which is played for listening pleasure:
Somebody That I Used To Know
- Original - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY&feature=kp
- Ranged for tango version 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUN--AVh5gU
- Arranged for tango version 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGx9674bYO0
- Original - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeumyOzKqgI
- Arranged for rumba - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SITKlMhUEHQ
- Arranged for paso doble - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3aJDLxiujk
To view Archived VBDS news articles -click here.